Monday, December 01, 2003

Wedding's over since yesterday. But that won't stop me from describing the high points of the event...^_^;;

The bride's house happened to be close to a fishing village.

It was quite relaxing to walk over to that village, after a considerable stuffing (burp!).

And if anyone says that checkers is a game that SHOULD be played on an 8 X 8 checkerboard, the fishermen there would tell you otherwise; in their case, it's a 16 X 16 board.

And judging from the waves back then, they had good reason to play on a large board; the sea's waves were large, and the weather was cloudy, signs of an impending storm. Only an insane fisherman would go FISHING in that weather.

Good move there, men!

As for today's run, I ended up stuffing myself again, but I doubt I can keep that BLACK HOLE I call my stomach empty enough for long.

Two things:

1. Earlier that afternoon, one of our relatives in Sungai Pattani visited us, and brought us a copy of our family's medical history, which, incidentally, happened to be a sort of family tree.

I hope she sends me the link to the place, for I'd like to know more about my extended family.

2. Later on, I joined my parents as we visited two other relatives. Hala (Auntie) Om Bee, and Hala Ain.

Hala Om Bee had held a kenduri arwah, or "feast to honour the departed" today, and we arrived at the perfect time - after the prayers for the departed were over, but before the food was finished.

Not to say that I don't honour the dead, but I CAN'T stand sitting down, cross-legged, for long periods of time. So you can tell that I was quite relieved that our timing was JUST right.

And FYI, Hala Om Bee ALSO makes good nasi dalca, a.k.a. "dalca rice", complete with the standard issue of Penangite side dishes.

Needless to say, I was HOOKED. Penang food has something you just CAN'T seem to find in Selangor...and personally, Penang has a certain attraction.

It seems to have a certain charm that's hard to explain. Could be because even though I was born in the state of Selangor, my hometown will always be Penang.

Coming back today, but I'll be headed for Genting Highlands on Friday. If I'm lucky, I'll be blogging from there. It'll be a bit freezing down there, but it's for a good cause.

No comments: