Saturday, July 21, 2007

As usual, the monitor that Saviour-V uses for his reviews is still as he left it...just as he teleports in....

Right. Review #5 on the cards comes from the Annie Books Series.

Unfortunately, given my work in real life, I've not been able to contact them personally for a full review PDF, so I'll only be working with the two sample chapters from their book "A Prairie Day With Anne".

But I will provide a little background on Anne. Anne's a fictitious character created by Michelle Fattig, who wrote this book, and many others on Anne. And the reason? Like Anne, Dr. Michelle has ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), and her books explain life from the eyes of a child with ADHD.

Ironically, I've got ADHD myself, although I sometimes like to think that I don't have it.

But enough reminiscing. Here's the URL for the sample chapters (Chapters 12 and 13):

Sample Chapters from A Prairie Day With Anne.

As for what I think of those two chapters, I'd say that Dr. Michelle's portrayal of Anne is quite similar to my own ADHD-addled past as a child. Like Anne, I went through a few periods of insecurity and impulsiveness, and even now, I sometimes slip into them from time to time. And yes, I used to get taunted for being different, back in my younger days.

Saviour-V smiles slightly....

Dr. Michelle seems to have done a good job of explaining things from a kid's point of view, but since I've not had the time to pick up the PDF from her personally, I can't really be sure if she's managed to capture the many aspects of a person living with ADHD. I will admit that the chapters I've managed to review are relatively well-written, though. They're also quite lightweight, which may help kids enjoy Anne's story on their own, and allow parents to briefly explain things, too.

I'll go out on a limb here. I believe that this book is worth a good read for kids with ADHD, and for parents trying to help their children make sense of their gift. Heck, ADHD's not a calamity, just that it makes one a little more special in terms of thoughts and actions.

Of course, feel free to peruse the Annie Books website, and draw your own conclusions from there. And with that, I bid you all adieu. You guys have been a wonderful audience.

The monitor on the wall slides back into the panel, and the panel closes shut. Satisfied with this, Saviour-V teleports out...

No comments: