Monday, November 11, 2002

A word to the rare visitors of this blog:

Although I don't update as frequently as I should, do remember that I've got a few issues to take care of.

Especially exams, the last of which is this 14th. I've got to study hard for it, as you might assume.

Of course, come round and feel free to bombard my comment-space and Tag-Board; if you're lucky, I might just happen to be there, and I'll answer any questions / requests you have.

And now....for the rest of this blog entry.

Jace Barret has been kind enough to let me install a game or two from him...and considering that my gaming skills have seen a NASTY drop recently, it came as a welcome addition. The guy's thinking about establishing a webcomic, in a non-similar fashion to our comrades at MegaTokyo.

In other news, I've been to a seminar on C#, entitled "Unleash The Power Of C#", organized by the Damansara Heights branch of APIIT. Relatively interesting....especially since the .NET framework makes portability issues (e.g. migrating from Java to C#) a bit easier on the mind.

Plus some more interesting news. The Nov 2002 issue of Popular Science highlighted two major things:

1. The revival of the scramjet (supersonic combustion ramjet) technology. With luck, if most issues are resolved (especially heat, combustion, and pressure issues), we'll see planes and missiles cruising through the air at Mach 8....roughly 5000 MPH (haven't converted this to KMPH yet!). And this technology is not really new; research occurred around 1961, plus after the Challenger space shuttle accident. However, this tech was scrapped several times due to monetary and political issues in the past, so hopefully, things should change now.

2. The honouring of 10 scientists, whose work is as of now, relatively unknown to the Nobel Prize committee. One of them has found a way to synthesize electrical component materials (semiconductors, for example).....using viruses to create the materials. Another has found a way to synthesize human tissue. By combining these two methods, it may be possible to create an automatic healing mechanism of sorts. Although I'm not sure how.

Review these links, for they might be useful.

Now, I'd better get back to my books.

Hang on, forgot to wish all Muslims around the world "Eid-ul-Mubarak" (Have a blessed Eid!). The fasting month is quite trying, notably in some places I know.

Ganbatte kudasai! (Hang in there!)

No comments: